Project InformationProject: De La Salle University Centennial Hall
Location: Manila, Philippines
Product: OPTRA FG Open Plan
Completion date: June 2012
Download PDF Case Study
The 1st Challenge:
- 22,000 m2,15-storey library & educational facilities building completed in June 2012 to commemorate the 100th year of the DLSU Education System in the Philippines. This is the very first educational building in the Philippines to comply
with the Philippine version of the LEED Compliance System known locally as B.E.R.D.E. (Building for Ecologically Responsive
- DLSU required high sound absorption design in their classrooms to achieve clear speech interaction between teacher and students.
As all walls have high STC Ratings, their primary concern was how to reduce noise & reverberation created within the classroom
particularly when classes hold high-noise producing activities.
- OPTRA FG Open Plan with its excellent NRC of 0.9-1.0, to reduce over-all noise levels & reverberation. This improves speech
intelligibility thus giving the students a better learning experience & concentration on the subjects at hand. The high light
reflectance value of Optra FG also reduces the need for more light fixtures thus controlling glare & contributing to lower
The 2nd Challenge:
- The project also requires a ceiling system along corridors in between classrooms & the building’s facade. The facade is semi-open
to the outside of the building. The challenge is to provide a sturdy & strong ceiling system to withstand the elements & at
the same time provide a beautiful flat & straight ceiling.
- MetalWorks Clip-in, a concealed grid metal ceiling system that achieves a monolithic ceiling appearance giving that clean
beautiful ceilings. More importantly, the system, installed with Security Clips, answers the need for a sturdy, stable and
secure system against wind-uplift. Aluminum panels were used for corrosion prevention.