Armstrong.com The Floor Board Blog The Floor Board Blog

Welcome to The Floor Board!

June 30, 2011 5:07 pm    Posted by Kim Lefever    Comments (12)

Welcome to our new flooring blog, brought to you by the folks who know floors – Armstrong. Thanks for joining us here! We’re going to talk about everything related to floors: flooring types, flooring installation methods, designing a floor, floor care and more. If you have a topic you want us to cover, let us know!

Our goal with this blog is to provide you with valuable information you can use when choosing a new floor for your home. Buying a floor is a big investment. You want to make sure the floor you pick fits your decorating style, your lifestyle and your budget.

Most importantly, you want to make sure your floor fits you. Before you buy, ask yourself: can I live with this floor? You’ll have to look at it every day. You’ll have to decorate around it. You’ll have to clean it regularly. So it’s a good idea to explore all your options before you make your decision. The good news is – you’re not alone! We can help guide you to the right floor for your home. And that’s just a start!

In this blog, Armstrong designers who know a thing or two about creating beautiful floors will offer design tips and trends. Installation experts will share their expertise about installing everything from hardwood to luxury vinyl tile. And floor care specialists will offer advice about cleaning and maintaining different types of floors so you know exactly how to keep your floor looking like new.

There’s a lot to talk about, so we hope you stop back often!

12 Responses to “Welcome to The Floor Board!”

1. Virginia Bertrand says:

Can laminate flooring planks be installed on top of ceramic tile?

2. Peter Orwig says:

I currently have oak flooring in my dinning room and would like to replace the ceramic flooring in kitchen (adjacent to the dinning room) with wood. I’m concerned that it will look funny having two different woods next to each other. I wouldn’t be able to match the oak; nor would I want to. I assume this problem is a common one. Your thoughts?

3. kim says:

Hi Peter! I put this question to our hardwood designer, Sara, and this was her response:

In homes with an open floor plan, it works well to have a common color throughout. In your situation, I would use a contrasting color, in the same wood species if possible. A darker color is the trend, like a chocolate brown. Good luck!

4. Betty L. Jones says:

Can I use a Swifter Wet Jet on my laminate floors or some type of wet vacuum? I don’t feel my floors are being thoroughly cleaned with just a dust mop. I would appreciate any and all suggestions you may have for a product to clean my floors.

Sincerely,
    Betty Lou Jones

• kim says:

Hi Betty!
      We don’t recommend using any type of cleaner that uses steam on our laminate floors. Steam cleaners generate enough moisture to break down the glue joints between glued pieces of laminate. Also, excessive moisture can cause swollen or peaked edges in locked laminate boards. Any type of cleaner that generates an excessive amount of moisture would not be recommended on our laminate floors since it could cause damage to the material. You can find maintenance recommendations for our laminate products here: http://bit.ly/quLg7O

Thanks for writing!

5. Chris Olson says:

We have a few small glue spots here and there where our new Bruce Natural Reflections C5014 flooring was put down. The flooring is absolutely beautiful! I hear that charcoal lighter fluid on a softcloth can be used sparingly to remove the glue…..is that what you recommend?? Thanks!!

• kim says:

Hi Chris!
      Natural Reflections is required to be glued down with a urethane-based adhesive which typically dries very hard. If the adhesive is allowed to completely dry on the floor, it’s possible that you won’t be able to remove it. Try using low odor mineral spirits on a clean white cloth and blot at the area – but be careful not to wipe too hard and fast or you might “buff” the finish around the adhesive residue. If this process does not fix the issue, you may want to consider replacing the boards.

6. Chris Olson says:

Hi,
    In on order to keep our new bruce hardwood floors looking new Bruce recommends doormats at each entry door from outside. We live in a condo unit where our front door is protected from the elements. What type of material or doormat do you recommend to limit transfer of particles into the house? Maybe there is a doormat that is extremely good at wicking away moisture from rain on the bottom of shoes? Thanks!!

• kim says:

Hi Chris!
      Armstrong doesn’t offer recommendations on the best type of mat to remove moisture and particles. Our concern is for the backing which comes in contact with the floor. We advise that you don’t use rugs with solid rubber or vinyl backings. The rugs must be made of a breathable material to prevent moisture entrapment. Here is a link to our floor care guidelines for Armstrong and Bruce hardwood floors. http://bit.ly/hpolmg

7. Bill Kelly says:

I know this is for REPLYs –Where (and HOW) do I enter a question?

8. kim says:

Hi Bill!
    You actually used the right place to ask your question! You can hit “reply” to me and ask your question now.