What does it take to install Alterna™ groutable vinyl tile yourself?
Installing Alterna™ groutable vinyl tile takes about as much skill as installing a new ceramic floor. For this reason, we recommend that you use a professional installer for your project. If you’re a skilled do-it-yourselfer or enjoy a challenge, find out more about installing Alterna™ below.
- BEFORE YOU BEGIN: Carefully read our detailed installation instructions.
- Be sure the floor you’re laying over is dry, clean and flat.
- Gently remove wall base, millwork, or trim you’ll re-use.
- Have all recommended tools and materials on hand.
- Properly acclimate the flooring according to the instructions.
- Divide your room into equal quadrants, marked by a chalk line.
- Start in the center, laying tiles; adjust center, if needed, according to installation guide.
- Cut or shape tiles as needed at wall edges and around cabinets and vents.
- Use your trowel’s fine notching to spread adhesive; allow to set, then lay tiles into place.
- Remove spacers and roll with 100 lb. roller.
- Apply grout, packing firmly; pull float diagonally across tiles to remove excess grout.
- Use buckets of clean, cool water and sponges to clean grout from tile surfaces.
- Do not wash or scrub your new Alterna™ tile floor for at least five days.