DIY Alterna™ Tile
Alterna™ can be installed with or without grout depending on the look you like. Because installing Alterna™ is similar to installing ceramic tile we recommend having it professionally installed. If you’re a skilled do-it-yourselfer who enjoys a challenge, get tips and download step-by-step instructions.
Materials & Tools
Alterna™ groutable vinyl tile is for advanced DIY-ers. Use the list of tools and materials below to help decide if this project is for you.
Materials & Tools
- Armstrong Alterna™ groutable vinyl tile flooring
- Armstrong S-194 Patch, Underlayment & Embossing Leveler
- Armstrong S-195 Underlayment Additive
- Armstrong S-288 Flooring Adhesive
- Coordinated Armstrong S-693 Pre-mixed Sanded Acrylic Grout (for grouted installations)
- Tile spacers
- Armstrong Once ’n Done® floor cleaner
- Chalk line
- Tape measure
- Utility knife
- Armstrong S-891 trowel
- 100 lb. roller
- Grout float (for grouted installations)
- Bucket, sponges and rags (for grouted installations)
Armstrong Premixed Sanded Acrylic Grout
Installing Alterna™ groutable vinyl tile takes about as much skill as installing a new ceramic floor. For this reason, we recommend that you use a professional installer for your project. If you’re a skilled do-it-yourselfer or enjoy a challenge, find out more about installing Alterna™ below.
- BEFORE YOU BEGIN: Carefully read our detailed installation instructions.
- Be sure the floor you’re laying over is dry, clean and flat.
- Gently remove wall base, millwork, or trim you’ll re-use.
- Have all recommended tools and materials on hand.
- Properly acclimate the flooring according to the instructions.
- Divide your room into equal quadrants, marked by a chalk line.
- Start in the center, laying tiles; adjust center, if needed, according to installation guide.
- Cut or shape tiles as needed at wall edges and around cabinets and vents.
- Use your trowel’s fine notching to spread adhesive; allow to set, then lay tiles into place.
- Remove spacers and roll with 100 lb. roller.
- Apply grout, packing firmly; pull float diagonally across tiles to remove excess grout.
- Use buckets of clean, cool water and sponges to clean grout from tile surfaces.
- Do not wash or scrub your new Alterna™ tile floor for at least five days.