DIY Alterna™ Tile
Alterna™ can be installed with or without grout depending on the look you like. Because installing Alterna™ is similar to installing ceramic tile we recommend having it professionally installed. If you’re a skilled do-it-yourselfer who enjoys a challenge, get tips and download step-by-step instructions.
Materials & Tools
Alterna™ groutable vinyl tile is for advanced DIY-ers. Use the list of tools and materials below to help decide if this project is for you.
Materials & Tools
- Armstrong Alterna™ groutable vinyl tile flooring
- Armstrong S-194 Patch, Underlayment & Embossing Leveler
- Armstrong S-195 Underlayment Additive
- Armstrong S-288 Flooring Adhesive
- Coordinated Armstrong S-693 Pre-mixed Sanded Acrylic Grout (for grouted installations)
- Tile spacers
- Armstrong Once ’n Done® floor cleaner
- Chalk line
- Tape measure
- Utility knife
- Armstrong S-891 trowel
- 100 lb. roller
- Grout float (for grouted installations)
- Bucket, sponges and rags (for grouted installations)
Armstrong Premixed Sanded Acrylic Grout
Installing Alterna™ groutable vinyl tile takes about as much skill as installing a new ceramic floor. For this reason, we recommend that you use a professional installer for your project. If you’re a skilled do-it-yourselfer or enjoy a challenge, find out more about installing Alterna™ below.
- BEFORE YOU BEGIN: Carefully read our detailed installation instructions.
- Be sure the floor you’re laying over is dry, clean and flat.
- Gently remove wall base, millwork, or trim you’ll re-use.
- Have all recommended tools and materials on hand.
- Properly acclimate the flooring according to the instructions.
- Divide your room into equal quadrants, marked by a chalk line.
- Start in the center, laying tiles; adjust center, if needed, according to installation guide.
- Cut or shape tiles as needed at wall edges and around cabinets and vents.
- Use your trowel’s fine notching to spread adhesive; allow to set, then lay tiles into place.
- Remove spacers and roll with 100 lb. roller.
- Apply grout, packing firmly; pull float diagonally across tiles to remove excess grout.
- Use buckets of clean, cool water and sponges to clean grout from tile surfaces.
- Do not wash or scrub your new Alterna™ tile floor for at least five days.
Ready to install your new flooring? Our Armstrong Certified Installers are specifically trained to install Alterna Vinyl Tile and all of our flooring products. They offer skilled confidence back by years of experience. You can rest assured your new floor will be installed to your exact specifications so it retains its long-lasting beauty.