DIY Hardwood Flooring Installation
What does it take to install a hardwood floor yourself? Find out here.
Depending on the type of hardwood floor you’ve chosen, the installation directions will vary. Below is a summary of things to do no matter what type of hardwood you choose. Please refer to your detailed installation instructions for your product type before installing any hardwood flooring yourself.
- BEFORE YOU BEGIN: Carefully read our detailed installation instructions.
- Be sure the floor you’re laying over is dry, clean and flat.
- Gently remove wall base, millwork, or trim you’ll re-use.
- Have all recommended tools and materials on hand.
- Properly acclimate the hardwood according to the instructions.
- Roll out the underlayment best suited for your hardwood floor.
- Lay floor pieces parallel with the longest wall in the room.
- Begin on the left side and work right, with the small tongue side facing the wall.
- Use spacers between boards and walls to allow for expansion.
- For the last row, you may have to cut boards lengthwise.
- Trace for contours to be cut and fitted according to installation guide.
- After installing the last row, remove spacers.
- Attach trim and moldings to the wall, allowing the floor to expand and contract freely.