Planning a green remodel? Start with your floor. There’s a wide variety of eco-friendly flooring options for every room, but how do you make the right choice? Here’s a short list of stylish and durable eco-friendly floors that will make you feel good about your purchase and help you create a beautiful space.
Green Features in Eco-Friendly Flooring Options
Hardwood – As eco-friendly flooring, renewable hardwood can last 100 years or more, and can be refinished many times to keep its looks. When the useful life of hardwood flooring is over, it can be reclaimed for other uses.
- Over 90% of our volume is harvested in the U.S., using local raw materials.
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certification is available for certain solid and engineered hardwood products
- Wood finishes contain low volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Laminate – Efficient manufacturing processes designed to maximize board yield (less waste) make today’s laminate flooring a great eco-friendly flooring choice. The Armstrong Lock&Fold installation doesn’t require adhesive and is perfect for every level of DIYer.
- LEED credits for rapidly renewable materials
- Qualified as a low-emitting product
Premium vinyl tile – While delivering the high-end looks of stone, ceramic and hardwood, premium vinyl tile is also an excellent green choice.
- FloorScore™ certified for low VOC emissions for safer indoor air quality
- Manufactured in an environmentally responsible, ISO 140001-certified U.S. facility
- Vinyl plank requires no underlayment or adhesives
Linoleum – Ideal, eco-friendly flooring, linoleum is made with natural ingredients, including linseed oil, wood powder, tree resins, ground limestone, and an all-natural jute fabric backing. Its rich colors come from mineral pigments.
- FloorScore certified
- Made from 36% renewable raw materials
- Contains 35% recycled content
Vinyl sheet – Manufactured to meet standards for low emission levels of VOCs, vinyl sheet can contribute to good indoor air quality, while standing up to the most active households.
- FloorScore certified
- No underlayment needed, reducing materials required for installation
- U.S. manufactured
Step into the world of eco-friendly flooring and see all the beautiful, green options you can choose from to reduce your environmental footprint inside your home.