Laminate Flooring FAQs
Answers to today's prevalent laminate flooring questions.
Q: What is the Lock & Fold® Installation System?
Armstrong Laminate with Lock & Fold technology is the industry’s fastest and easiest installation system. Products featuring
Lock & Fold technology install faster meaning you can enjoy your new floor sooner with less interruption to your home.
*Full bathroom installations require edge gluing, using, Armstrong 99
Q: How do I determine the direction in which to install my laminate flooring?
Install parallel to incoming light from any windows or if lighting is not a concern, parallel to the longest wall in the room.
Q: Can laminate flooring be installed on stairs?
Yes. Be sure to fully adhere the flooring to the stairs without using foam underlayment.
Detailed stair installation instructions.
Q: What are my floor molding options?
Armstrong offers a line of coordinated trim and molding pieces for most floors we offer. Choose from:
- Quarter round moldings: finishes the space where the laminate flooring meets the wall
- Multi-purpose reducer: provides a smooth transition from laminate flooring to another type of flooring of a lower height. Finishes the space where Laminate flooring ends against a vertical surface and where quarter round cannot be used.
- T-Molding: Used where the flooring continues through doorway or passageway into another room. Used in doorways or entryways, finishes the transition between two pieces of laminate flooring.
- Baby threshold: used at sliding glass doors, along wall bases, door thresholds and carpet.
- Flush stair nose: finishes the flooring edge at staircases, step downs, and landings.
- Overlap step nose: used where the flooring meets a step down or landing.
Q: Can I refinish or recoat my laminate flooring?
No. Laminate flooring cannot be refinished or sanded.
Q: What type of rugs can I use on my laminate floor?
All rug types are suitable for laminate, just be sure the mat is colorfast and non-staining.
LAMINATE FLOOR INSTALLATION FAQs
Q: Does laminate flooring need to be acclimated?
No. Armstrong Laminate flooring is stable and ready to install immediately out of the box.
Q: If the underlayment is already attached to the flooring, do I still need Armstrong 2 in 1 underlayment?
No additional underlayment is necessary. Moisture barrier sheeting is only required for installing over concrete.
Q: Where can laminate flooring be installed?
Anywhere in the home, as long as you have a structurally sound, clean, dry, and flat subfloor. Armstrong Laminate flooring can be placed over existing floors made of:
- vinyl sheet
- carpet (must be fully adhered and no more than 1/4" thick over suspended wood sub-floors)
Review the complete installation instructions prior to beginning your laminate installation.
Q: Can I install laminate flooring myself?
Yes, with the proper tools, skills and planning. For the fastest and easiest installation available in laminate, choose products
with Lock & Fold technology.
Visit our DIY Center for more detailed installation information.