Floor Shopping Guide – Part 3
Whether you plan to install your floor yourself, or hire a professional, the installation method should play a role in your floor shopping decisions.
Floor Shopping Guide: It’s installation time.
Now that you’ve selected your floor, it’s time to install it. If you created a flooring budget, you’ve already decided whether you’re installing the floor yourself or hiring a professional.
If you’re a DIYer, do your homework about the floor you plan to install.
If you’ve decided to hire a professional installer, try these resources:
After you’ve hired a flooring installer, schedule a consultation to discuss:
- A project timeline
- Additional project costs. You don’t want any surprises when the project’s done.
- Satisfaction guarantee. What happens if you have a problem with your floor after a month? A year?
- Old flooring. Who’s responsible for removing it?
- A written quote
Before the Installation
Follow these tips to protect your furniture and your home during the renovation.
- Remove all furniture and store everything in a safe area.
- Seal off other rooms. You want to keep the odors and dust from seeping into the rest of your home.
- Identify the work zone for your family so they can stay out of the way.
- Caution everyone to wear shoes to avoid stray splinters, nails, etc.
Next Installment: My floor looks great! Now how do I keep it that way?