Replacement - Tiles
Tip 24: Replacing damaged tiles using the Easy Up kit
When performing the steps listed below, use caution to avoid damaging the face edges of tiles adjacent to the tile being replaced.
Removing the damaged tile
1. Make four cut lines in the tile being removed. Always cut from the edge of the tile into the center.
2. After the cuts are made, remove the center section.
3. One at a time, slide the remaining tile sections toward the open center section, and let them drop out.
4. Carefully slide the remaining sections of the tile about 1" toward the center opening. This will allow all remaining sections of the damaged tile to drop out.
5. When the damaged tile is removed, you will see the ceiling tile clip which held up the damaged tile.
6. Slide the clip into the opening and remove it from the track.
7. Reverse it and snap it back on the track.
8. Slide the clip so that the teeth are just above the tongue of the adjacent tile.
9. Use a screwdriver and a hammer to push the clip into the tile above the tongue.
Installing the new tile
10. Take a new tile and remove both flanges.
11. Trim flange edges back 1". Insert the knife blade only deep enough to remove the 1/8" thick flange. It must not penetrate the face of the tile.
12. Remove about 1-1/2" of tongue in one of the corners adjacent to one of the removed flanges.
13. Hold the new tile up in the opening and¿on the back of the tile¿mark where the sides of the ceiling tile track are.
14. Use these marks as a guide to force a clip into the edge of the tile where the flange was removed.
15. With the tongue sides of the new tile slightly offset to the adjacent tile, insert the partial tongue into the adjacent tile. You will have to push up on the side where the
1-1/2" of tongue was removed to allow the tile to flex slightly.
16. Push the partial tongue of the tile into the groove of the adjacent tile.
17. Push up on the other tongue side and push the tile toward the other tile to insert the full tongue into the adjacent tile.
18. When this replacement tile is lined up with the other tile, push up so the clip snaps onto the track.