Tip 30: Mounting a ceiling fan in a tile ceiling
When installing a fan brace where an electric fixture is not already located, the bracket and electrical box should be mounted so that the face of the box is flush with the finished ceiling.
1. If a ceiling tile track lines up with the electrical box, cut the ceiling tile track so it does not interfere with the box opening. Continue the track on the other side of the box.
2. Cut a hole in the tile to fit around the box at least 1/4" larger than the box. Leave some clearance around the box.
3. After the tiles are in place, mount the fan to the box and install the ceiling fan trim ring against the face of the tile.
Use only mounting brackets and electrical boxes recommended for ceiling fan installation. Follow the manufacturers¿ directions for their installation.
When installing a ceiling fan brace in either a panel or tile ceiling where an electric fixture is already located:
1. Remove the existing ceiling outlet box and bar.
2. Clear the joist space above the ceiling opening of insulation, wiring, etc.
3. Check the location of existing wiring. Remove wiring away from the sides of the joist so it will not be caught behind feet of fan brace.
4. Follow the fan brace manufacturer's instructions for mounting the brace.
5. Reverse the position of the fan brace feet so the feet are up. This will allow the electrical box to extend downward so the face of the box is flush with the finished ceiling.